This is a simple tasty chicken salad with healthy lentils and a tzatziki dressing flavoured with fresh herbs – delicious!
Tzatziki is one of my favourite things to pair with chicken. You’re much better off making it yourself as well rather than buying it – it’s very easy! See below for a recipe.
- paprika 1 teaspoon
- ground cumin ½ teaspoon
- dried oregano 1 teaspoon
- garlic 3 cloves, minced
- olive oil 1 tablespoon
- chicken thighs 6-8 boneless and skinless
- red onion 1, thinly sliced
- white wine or chicken stock about ¼ cup
- brown or puy lentils 1 x 400g can, rinsed and drained
- tomatoes 4, diced
- telegraph cucumber ½, diced
- baby spinach 4 handfuls
- feta 100g, crumbled
- natural unsweetened yoghurt ½ cup
- dill ¼ cup, finely chopped
- mint ½ cup, finely chopped
- lemon juice of 1
- extra-virgin olive oil 1-2 tablespoons
- Mix paprika, cumin, oregano, garlic and olive oil together and combine with chicken thighs. If you have the time, leave them to marinate for an hour or up to overnight.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry pan or pre-heat BBQ on medium to high heat. Season marinated chicken with salt and cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until cooked through. Set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes, keeping pan on the heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft and starting to caramelise, 3-4 minutes – add a little wine or chicken stock during cooking to lift the chicken pan brownings and stop them from burning on the bottom of the pan. Add lentils and toss to heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine all tzatziki dressing ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, slice chicken and toss with onion, lentils, tomatoes, cucumber, baby spinach and feta. Divide between plates and dress with tzatziki dressing.