The humble Brussels sprout is experiencing a culinary renaissance and I couldn’t be happier!
Brussels sprouts are the stars of this stir-fry recipe, which I’m sure might make some people balk at giving this a try. I’m telling you, this simple dinner dish is the perfect chance to give them a shot. Who knows, the kids might even love them!
I’m sure this misunderstood veg has gained its terrible reputation from being cooked poorly. In reality, these sprouts are actually darn delicious! They’re beautifully nutty and savoury when cooked properly.
They’ve been very lightly blanched to ensure there’s not a soggy sprout in sight in this recipe.
Brussels sprouts are packed full of plenty of vitamin K and vitamin C and come from the Brassicaceae family (think of them as teeny tiny cabbages).They taste like a dream with the bacon (what doesn’t?), chilli and garlic in this recipe. Serve with plenty of golden chicken breast, crispy kale and sticky udon noodles and watch any sprout skeptic become a fan.
The best part? This dish will be on the dinner table in just 25 minutes!
- oil for frying
- garlic 1 clove, sliced
- red chilli 1, finely sliced
- chicken breast 500 grams, thinly sliced
- streaky bacon 4 strips, diced
- Brussels sprouts 10-12, halved and some leaves separated
- kale 3-4 large leaves, torn from stalks
- sea salt
- sweet chilli sauce ¼ cup, plus extra to serve
- soy sauce ¼ cup
- water ¾ cup
- cornflour 2 teaspoons
- udon noodles 2 packets, simmered in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, then drained
- lemon juice to serve
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a wok or large frying pan on medium heat and sauté garlic, chilli, chicken and bacon until cooked and golden.
- Blanch sprouts and separated leaves in a little boiling water for 2-3 minutes until just tender and bright green. Drain and add to the chicken mix.
- Heat a little oil and sea salt in a small pan on medium-high heat. Add kale and sear until deep green and crispy.
- Combine sweet chilli, soy, water and cornflour and mix into stir-fry with drained noodles. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until saucy, glossy and heated through.
- Garnish with kale. Serve with a swirl of sweet chilli sauce and a squeeze of lemon.