This charred corn salad screams of Summer! It’s perfect barbecue fare, best enjoyed sitting outside with friends and family.
There’s nothing quite like a charred corn salad when corn is at it’s peak, and this recipe couldn’t be any easier. The charring process really brings out the sweetness of the corn in a way that boiling doesn’t. It also lends a smoky flavour that pairs beautifully with the chipotle dressing. Serve this tasty salad with some marinated, barbecued chicken, beef or lamb for an easy Summer meal.
This recipe is from the Summer BBQ story in the February/March issue of NADIA magazine.
- corn cobs 4 large, husks and silks removed
- oil for brushing
- cherry tomatoes 1 punnet
- feta 100g
- spring onions 3
- avocado 1, ripe
- baby spinach leaves or mesclun 2 large handfuls
- lime juice of 1
- sour cream ¼ cup
- chipotle sauce* 1½-2 tsp
- Preheat barbecue grill to high. Lightly brush corn with oil. Cook for about 10 minutes, turning now and again, until bright yellow and lightly charred. When cool enough to handle, stand cob on end on a board and run a sharp knife down the sides to remove the kernels in chunks.
- While corn is cooking, halve tomatoes, crumble feta, thinly slice spring onions and slice avocado. Combine in a large bowl or platter with corn and spinach.
- For dressing, whisk lime juice, sour cream and chipotle sauce in a small bowl until smooth. Loosen with a little water. Drizzle over salad just prior to serving.
*check label if eating gluten free.