Healthy and gelato don’t usually go together in the same sentence, but in this case they do!
Avocado lends a perfect smooth and creamy texture to this delicious treat – I promise you wont miss regular dairy-based gelato! You won’t need a ice cream maker for this – the frozen fruit gives the texture of ice cream when blended up. Add mango and vanilla to the mix and you’ve got a great tropical treat for when it’s hot out. It’s also gluten and dairy free and has no refined sugar. To serve, I like to top with fresh passion fruit syrup (see recipe below) or a sprinkle of toasted coconut thread.
- firm ripe avocado flesh of 2, diced
- ripe mango flesh of 2, diced
- vanilla bean paste 1 teaspoon
- liquid honey 2-3 tablespoons
- coconut cream 3-4 tablespoons
- lime juice of 1
- passionfruit syrup* (optional)
- Freeze avocado and mango pieces on a tray or in a dish lined with baking paper for 8 hours or overnight, until frozen hard.
- Remove from freezer and thaw for 5-10 minutes before adding to a food processor with vanilla, honey, coconut cream and lime juice. Blitz until smooth.
- Serve immediately or scoop into a container and return to freezer until it is the right firmness and ready to serve.
- *You can use store-bought passionfruit syrup, or if you would prefer to make your own place 1/4 cup passionfruit pulp, 2-3 tablespoons honey and the zest of 1 lime in a small pot and boil gently for 1-2 minutes until honey is dissolved. Allow to cool before drizzling over gelato.