Cacao nut butter fudge brownie
Who doesn’t love chocolate fudge and brownie? This recipe is kind of a cross between the two, with the outside being more cake like, and the middle is more fudge/gooey.
- 300 g jar chocolate/cacao and nut butter I used Ceres Organics Cacao almond crush
- 4 free-range eggs
- ¼ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- salt good pinch
- 1 large ripe banana very well mashed (until there are no lumps)
- ¼ cup maple syrup brown rice malt syrup or golden syrup (I used Ceres Organics maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or extract
- 2 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder
- ¼ cup walnuts hazelnuts or almonds chopped
- Preheat oven to 180degC. Line a square 20 x 20cm baking tin with baking paper.
- Spoon cacao almond crush into a measuring jug and microwave for about 1 minute until soft. Alternatively heat gently on the stovetop until soft.
- Place eggs, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl and use an electric beater on high speed to beat for 4-5 minutes until thick, pale and creamy.
- Add softened cacao almond crush, mashed banana, syrup, vanilla essence and cocoa/cacao powder and beat on low speed for 1-2 minutes or until mixture is well combined. Pour into lined baking tin and bake for 15-18 minutes (15 minutes if you like your brownie to be more gooey/fudgey, and 18 minutes if you prefer a firmer brownie – personally I like mine fudgey!)
- Leave in the tin for 5-10 minutes before removing. Now, here you can either leave it in the fridge to cool if you want it to be more like a fudge (the gooey parts turn into a fudge-like texture), or you can serve it warm, more like a dessert brownie.
This brownie recipe is gluten-free, dairy free and you can make it refined sugar-free too. What’s more, the richness comes from good-for-you crushed almonds. I’ve also reduced the amount of added sugar by adding a mashed banana for sweetness. So you really don’t have to feel guilty about a little piece of this – in fact it would make a fantastic lunch box or morning/afternoon tea treat. Cook this recipe for 15 minutes if you like it gooey like me, or 18 minutes for a more set centre.